After 5 years of birth control contraceptive use, I realized my libido was absent… a symptom that many women end up experiencing from long-term birth control use.
The birth control contraceptive can increase the production of Sex-Hormone Binding Globulin levels (a protein in your liver that binds to sex hormones like testosterone) which can lead to lower testosterone levels and eventually, low libido. The pill can actually change genetic expression within the liver to create more SHBG.
Furthermore, the B.C. contraceptive impacts the gut lining, making it difficult to absorb B-vitamins like Folate (B9), which is necessary for detoxification, healthy skin, and building healthy blood to absorb and utilize iron. Iron is needed to bring oxygen into the cells, and low iron can contribute to low sex drive.
In addition, B.C. contraceptive can cause inflammation in the gut, leading to issues like insulin resistance, causing cravings for more glucose… meaning more sugar & carbohydrates… which leads to bloating and weight gain. How can one feel sexy when they are super bloated?
Beyond the pill, when women go through that beautiful shift of the menstrual years to “moonpasue” or menopause, estrogen levels significantly decrease, which can affect the amount of juiciness… the cervical fluid a woman experiences each month during ovulation. Estrogen production diminishes in the ovaries and shifts to be mainly produced by the adrenals and fat cells. If the adrenals are fatigued from running on overdrive during your 20’s, 30’s and 40’s… your libido might need a little love!
So, what can we do to bring this libido back?
There are a number of herbs (like Womb Herbs), vitamins, and juicy feminine living practices such as the Jade Egg Taoist practice I have been teaching about in my Juicy Feminine Living classes. (If you are interested in a 1:1 session or want to host a Juicy Feminine Living cooking class for your friends or at your office, please message me).
For now, I would love to share one of my most favorite tonics recipes, that I serve the women I work with before we do an Intuitive Womb Healing session.
I love teaching the power of tonics, as they can create more health, vitality, and most importantly: pleasure! So often are we on overdrive, and we turn to sugar or caffeine for quick pick-me-ups. Warm tonics sooth cravings and strengthen female reproductive organs, increasing blood circulation, building the blood, so that libido and vitality is enhanced.
This tonic recipe may be a little advanced for those who don’t regularly use tinctures and herbs in their kitchen. Yet, if you are feeling called to try it, it is a big favorite of mine…. and I promised my clients I would publish the recipe.
This tonic uses a base of Egyptian Licorice Yogi tea, which includes warming spices like ginger and cloves to help circulate the blood and increase flow to the reproductive organs. It also includes licorice, which used in moderation, can help those who are experiencing burnout: fatigue and chronic exhaustion upon awakening from low cortisol levels.
Here are the herbs used in this elixir-potion:
1. Aphrodite’s Love by Evolved Alchemy. I discovered this amazing tincture blend while at the Oregon Eclipse Festival. Aphrodite’s Love contains schizandra, cacao extract, blue lotus, cinnamon and cayenne. This spiced up potion increases circulation to the reproductive organs and awakens the heart chakra.
- Schizandra: in ancient China, soldiers would bring these berries to the kings to honor their wives as beautiful, as these berries were known as a beauty herb, promoting longevity, kidney health, and vitality within healthy skin. The astringent qualities of schizandra berry help preserve the moisture of the skin, easing laugh lines. Schizandra is known as an aphrodisiac and improves stamina and athletic ability. It enhances the circulation and sensitivity to female genitals, which will overtime, increase sensitivity during love-making leading to stronger orgasms…. YUM!
- Blue Lotus: was used by high priestesses and priests of ancient Egypt in ceremonial experiences for subtle euphoria and a serenity. It assists with sexual vitality, by increasing blood flow to the reproductive organs, as well as increasing warmth around the head or crown chakra, producing a relaxed “dreamy” feeling.
- Cacao: is another known aphrodisiac, and one of my favorites! The alcohol extract enhances the potency of the natural aphrodisiac effects of cacao as well as theobromine, which is different than caffeine, but stimulates the same nerve pathways helping to increase mental clarity and efficiency. Cacao increases the production of dopamine, the brain’s “feel-good” chemical.
2. Magnesium: I love adding magnesium powder to my tonics as it is a muscle relaxant to help calm the body. It also reduces bloating, which we know a bloated body can prevent us from feeling sexy in our own skin!
If low testosterone levels have occurred from birth control contraceptives from increased SHBG levels, adequate magnesium levels will make it more difficult for testosterone to bind to these proteins, leaving more free testosterone in your bloodstream to boost the sex drive.
3. Lemongrass Essential Oil: This herb is traditionally used in cultures in southeast Asia and South America for soothing headaches, reducing muscle pain, and internally for digestion. Lemongrass essential oil contains various B Vitamins: B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, folate and also vitamin C. Use as a toner for skin for purifying, it can be used topically as well. There are various studies done and published through PubMed that show it has anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties. Lemongrass, as well as other citrus flavors tend to uplift the mood.
If you are digging these Libido Boosting Herbs, you may also love the powder Womb Herbs I teach about in my cooking classes that I add to my oatmeal, smoothies, Raw Cacao Shakti Brownies. Check them out Here: Womb Herbs.